Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Letter to Mr. Selznick


Dr. Mr. Selznick,
                                I wanted to explain to you why I found your book so interesting.  First of all I want you to know that this was an assignment from my children’s literature class, and I was not thrilled about reading your novel, to be honest.  This is why I would further like you to know that I thoroughly enjoyed how you opened your story, making me unable to put the book down even in the middle of a Super Bowl Sunday.  In the first chapter, The Thief, the main element you used was your pictures.  There were little words within this chapter.  I think by doing this you are grabbing your reader’s attention so well.  I must admit that I tried with all my might to look at each one of those first pictures slowly, like you said to do in your brief introduction, yet I found myself flipping page to page quicker as the pages went on.  Your illustrations are so beautiful but I didn’t stop to enjoy them as I should have.  I wanted so badly to see what was going to happen next.
I like how you had little text within the first chapter.  It really makes the reader want to know more, like what is Hugo doing inside the walls of a train station?, what one earth are those drawings?, why is the old man so upset?, why is that notebook that is full of sketches so important to Hugo and the old man?  You wrote ‘“Ghosts…” the old man muttered to himself.  “I knew they would find me here eventually.”  He closed the notebook.  The expression on his face changed from fear to sadness to anger.  “Who are you boy?  Did you draw these pictures?”’ (pg. 60)  That passage sucked me into your novel.  You left so much to the reader’s imagination within this chapter that I couldn’t wait to find out more about this mystery.  What did the old man fear?  What made the old man so sad?  Why did the old man get so angry with Hugo over some drawings?!
The drawings on pages 52-59 also leaves the reader to wonder what this novel will turn into.  I really paid attention to the drawings on page 52-53.  I liked how the sketch book was just that, a sketch book.  In the lower left hand corner of Hugo’s notebook was a hand holding an old fashioned pen.  didn't think much of that sketch, or the sketch of the back of this ‘man’ on page 55 where it appears to be an upside down heart in his back, yet as I read on and got deeper into the novel I kept flipping back to these pages and the gears in my mind wouldn't stop trying to figure out the next scene to unfold.  I do have to say, the upside down heart shaped key on Isabelle's necklace (pg. 221) was an exciting moment because I knew what that key would fit into right then!
I think it’s important for you to know that this book was very well written.  As I stated earlier, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I want you to know, as well, that I do not plan on selling the book back to my school, I plan on keeping it for my family and friends to read so that they can find the same enjoyment I did.

Thank you very much for your entertaining work, it was much appreciated,

Molly Sturgis

1 comment:

  1. Hi Molly,
    I liked your letter to Mr. Selznick. I especially liked the fact that you asked all the right questions that left me wondering. Thanks for your post it was really fun reading it.

    ReplyDelete