Molly Sturgis
Children’s Literature, Spring 2012
Reader’s Sketch
January 19, 2012
Trying to Remember
I can remember lying
on the braided rug in the family room as my mom opened up my favorite book, Babies by Gyo Fugikawa. My mom rocked in the wooden chair; as she
pushed her feet from the floor the chair creaked and as her feet were to meet
the floor again another creak came from that chair. She read the book slowly and her head would
draw further from her chest with each page.
I examined the pictures as my mom showed them to me. All
the different babies, some smiling and others looked mad, I liked the colors
and the clothes the babies were wearing.
She turned the page and said, “But good or bad, all babies like to be
hugged and cuddled and loved.” I looked
next to me at my little baby sister. I
took my thumb out of my mouth and touched her and said, “You’re good now.” I put my thumb back in my mouth and turned to
my mom as if to say, “Ok, continue with the story.” I remember my mom smiling at me as she turned
to the next page. I can specifically
remember that this book made me feel like a big girl and I was because I had a
little sister.
It was Homer Hanky
season; the Minnesota Twins were in the World Series. My dad came home with Homer Hankies for us
and we put them in the air and sang “Take Me out to the Ballgame.” I remember the announcer saying, “Next up to
bat we have Kirrrrrrrr-by Puckett!” We
all cheered and jumped up and down. The
Twins won that night and we all got into our pajamas awaiting a bedtime
story. We brought our Homer Hankies with
us to the family room and laid on the faded braided rug as
Sturgis
2
my mom sat in the rocking
chair. We were so excited about the game
that every once in a while one of the five of us would yell “Kirrrrrr-by
Puckett!” and we would receive that look from my mom, the one where her chin
meets her chest and one eye is smaller than the other. She needn’t say a word; we knew that meant ‘knock
it off before…’ My mom decided she would
pick the book that night, and boy did she pick a fun one. Tikki
Tikki Tembo, by Arlene Mosel was a story about a little boy that had a long
name and he fell into a well. Tikki
Tikki Tembo-no Sa Rembo-chari Bari Ruchi-pip Peri Pembo was so fun to say we
all giggled laying down on that rug. For
weeks after that story I remember constantly chanting that boy’s name.
I
remember loving the pictures of The Five
Chinese Brothers, by Claire Huchet Bishop because they were so simple. The story was intriguing because of the special
powers each of the brothers had. I loved
to just look at the pictures. I remember
sitting in my mom’s rocking chair, my feet not quite touching the floor so I
would sit with my legs crossed and rock the chair, and holding the book just
like my mom did and reading to my little sister and brothers. I would read the pages and talk about the
pictures, telling them what was happening in case what I was reading didn’t
come across clearly. I would stop on the
page where the little boy was collecting the fish from the bottom of the sea,
for some reason I really liked the picture.
I
can remember “Book It,” a program that partnered with Pizza Hut, where you had
to read for a certain amount of time in which you would earn a free personal
pan pizza at Pizza Hut. I loved this
program because that meant we would go out to eat if we read! I remember a book that I so dearly loved, The Story about Ping, by Marjorie Flack
was tracked for many hours of reading through this program. I loved this book because Ping, a duck, was
so little and cute and also because my mom always said Ping was full of mischief
like me. My heart would race every time
I read the book worrying
Sturgis
3
about Ping returning home. I would sit and read this book by myself in
my room before bed. My mom and dad
bought me a reading light necklace so I could read with the lights out. I would fall asleep with this book a lot. I know that this will be a book I share with
my children because it, for some reason, was very special to me.
Years go by and I
didn’t read books, I didn’t enjoy them like I used to. I had too many other things to do; hang out
with friends, gossip and talk with boys.
I can’t remember any books I read, even for school, within my adolescent
years.
It
wasn’t until after I met my husband that my love for reading resurfaced. For a birthday in my late twenties I received
a book by Jodi Picoult called Change of
Heart. Picking up this book for the
first time it felt like I was saying hello to an old friend. I was astonished how much I enjoyed reading
and wondered how I went so long without it!
This book was a page turner for me, I considered it a little frightening
for my taste (I am a big baby when it comes to scary things – the last scary
movie I have ever watched was Gremlins
back when I was little) but I couldn’t put it down. I finished that book in a couple days and
moved onto The Other Boleyn Girl, by
Philippa Gregory. This book was
introduced to me by my sister in law. We
both read it in record time and finished it before the movie came out. I remember sitting on the couch in my living
room and my husband telling me to come to bed.
I would stay on that couch and fall asleep there with the open book,
like I used to as a child. He would
carry me to bed in the middle of the night.
The
last great book I read was The Help,
by Kathryn Stockett, again recommended to me by my sister in law. I took this book with me on our annual
camping trip up north a few years back and couldn’t put it down. I read instead of socializing, and found
myself to be consumed with the book.
Sturgis
4
Again, I was astonished by how
wonderful reading is and wondered about all the years I missed out on reading. It’s like they always say: “If I only knew
what I know now…”
Now-a-days
I try to find time to read between school and daily life. I seem to only find time to read books about
parenting, which are interesting none the less.
For the future I would like to find time to read more of Jodi Picoult’s
books, as I really found her style of writing to be interesting. I also see in the near future finding only
time to read children’s books, which I love, and am excited to start my own
collection for our growing family. I
wish to instill the love for reading in my children as my mom and dad did for
me.
No comments:
Post a Comment