Thursday, January 12, 2012

First Entry

After reading the first article, written by Megan Cox Gurdon, I thought to myself 'this lady does have a point' yet once I started the second article, by Sherman Alexie, I was drawn in by his passion of writting and I just can not argue with his points he makes.  I think Alexie really shows his passion for writting and reading through out his article.  When he says "As a child, I read because books–violent and not, blasphemous and not, terrifying and not–were the most loving and trustworthy things in my life" I couldn't agree more.  Books draw a reader in and the most magical part of reading is that our minds paint the pictures for us of what is going on within the book, the book becomes a part of us.  I don't believe books on violence will produce violent tendencies within a person.  I believe that books allow us to escape from our life and live within the letters that turn into words that fill pages.  Whether a book's subject agrees or disagrees with your beliefs, that should be your own battle but let others make their own decisions.  If a parent is uncomfortable with a book's subject or language than they should be the ones to talk to their child(ren) about it and decide from there, a book shouldn't be censored across the board because it rubs someone the wrong way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment